About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Monday 21 February 2011

Proposed benefit payment for prisoners

Well now, according to the papers today there are suggestions that prisoners should receive benefits. Ahem, benefits are meant to ensure no-one is homeless and starving. Prisoners don't have expenses. They are provided with bed, board and health services. They also get entertainment, clothing and education - if they want it. What, exactly, do they need further income for?

It seems it's to do with the Human Rights Act. Here we go again! Surely, by breaking the law, they have forfeited all rights apart from the humanitarian rights to be fed, watered, housed and not physically or mentally abused in any way? Anything more than this should be considered a bonus, not a right, and only if the law-abiding population paying for their incarceration can afford more...and that's a big 'if' these days.

No, I say squash this proposal right away.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Where do we go from here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may have fallen prey to media boredom; I haven't seen anything about it since then. Either it was a slow day and they just picked a vague rumour from thin air and ran with it, or it's been dropped, or more likely it's another daft directive from the European Union and there's a move to get us out of there so fingers crossed on that score.

    Please do tell how to reply to comments, I can't remember and I've had to resort to leaving a comment on my own blog to answer you!

    ReplyDelete