About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Local market

I'm remembering something from an earlier post, i.e. not to make the mistake of trusting first impressions.

I went to the local market with my friend this morning. Not a market as I'm used to it, a few stalls with smiling holders and people chatting in the queue while they wait to be served or laughing as they go about getting their fruit and vegetables. Here everyone seemed to consider it serious business and no smiles to be seen anywhere although I'm told I was mis-reading it. I'm more than willing to believe that since virtually all the Egyptians I've met have been the most charming and friendly of people with easy smiles and good-humoured but I can see why Westerners might find it daunting.

It was held in a narrow badly maintained road with stalls set up along both sides - fruit, vegetable, fish, and I didn't make the mistake of thinking the rabbits were for pets. I wondered if the fish was fresh and then noticed the heaps were just covered with water and moving - definitely fresh! So many vegetables and fruits I'd never seen before, and the size of the cabbages, huge. I kept well away from the feral cats roaming around, it's one thing to be scratched by a pet that never goes out the house but quite another thing to be scratched by a wild cat in the streets. I've had my rabies jabs but they're only a stop gap until you can get to proper treatment and even so, there's no guarantee you'd survive. It was fascinating and I'll take a better look if we go again while I'm here so I can 'adjust my thinking' properly about the poeple.

Last night's walk along the Corniche (we went back hours after our meal) was not quite such a success. Neither my friend nor I felt like risking a dash across the traffic to walk alongside the sea so we stayed where we were. It was heaving and unbelievably noisy with the traffic and people close-up. I think I've become acclimatised to the quiet of the British countryside now and not in the least bit comfortable in crowds.

After our walk we wandered into the Cecil Hotel to use the facilities and have a nose around. It's lovely with what I've heard called 'shabby-chic' decor and furnishings. There are two lifts in the lobby with open shafts, polished wood cars and metal grills. I've only heard of Gerald Durrell but my friend tells the hotel was featured in a work called The Alexandria Quartet by his more famous brother, Lawrence Durrell. I bow to her greater knowledge of all things literary. We're likely to be going there for a meal next week so I'll look forward to that.

Before I sign off for now I'd better set the record straight. It has been pointed out to me that I'm not staying in a house, I'm staying in a fourth floor flat. Okay, okay, it's a flat. It's a very large, airy flat and beautifully appointed in mixed Egyptian and European styles, nicely reflecting the household. I'm off now for a little read with the window wide open to catch the breeze (but not the flies - the windows are netted against them) while nibbling some fresh dates.

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment