About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Saturday 16 June 2012

Little beasts!

As a family we're very fond of runner beans so I grow them and I try to be organic about it.

Sadly, blackfly are very fond of runner beans too so I've planted marigolds round the beans this year because blackfly don't like the smell of marigolds. Sadly, those voracious little beasts, slugs, are very fond of marigolds and they've stripped the marigolds back to a central stalk.

So I've been looking up an organic solution. The best one seems to be to surround susceptible plants with chives because slugs don't like the smell of chives.

So, I plant a barrier of chives to protect the marigolds, within that I plant a barrier of marigolds to protect the beans, within that I plant ...er... the one bean plant I've still got room for!

Hmm...

2 comments:

  1. Gardening sounds so very complicated!

    Jeo
    TheRadicalWrite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be, the way I go about it! I'm trying to be organic and get a little carried away.

      Delete