About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Friday 14 September 2012

Religious views

Today I had occasion to respond to someone's reaction to the bombing in Libya. The person was pretty upset, quite naturally, but spoke against the Muslim religion rather than the individuals. I've set out my response below. Any comments please? I believe I'm right in what I say but I'd be interested to know what other people think.

"I’ve been reading the papers and Chris Stevens seems to have been a remarkable man, I wish there were more like him in the world. I agree, what has been done is outrageous. It’s outrageous that someone who has worked so hard for peace and stability has been killed, along with his fellows. It’s outrageous that anyone would attack innocent people in the name of God, or Allah or any other. I don’t disagree with any of your comments on the appalling reaction to something that is frankly not worth the attention it’s been given. However, I can’t bring myself to blame the religion itself. Atrocities are committed by different religions for different reasons. I’m not a historian and my understanding of the world is naive to say the least. However, as I understand it the Crusaders invaded the Holy Land because they were convinced they had the right; southern Irish bombed innocents in London because the UK supported the Northern Irish in their decision to be part of the UK, a division originating in the differences between Catholics and Protestants. Everywhere in the world there are constant reports of one religion battling another in some way or another, even different sects within the same religion. I’m the only Christian in my family, the others are non-believers. One member is even antagonistic towards all religion believing they are all evil and most of the word’s ills are caused by religion. It’s hard to argue against it when you look at the News but I still believe it’s not the religions, it’s the individuals. I could have blamed the Irish for the fear I experienced working in London in the late ‘70s, ringing round friends to make sure they were safe after one bombing or another but I know some northern and southern Irish and they were as sickened, and scared, as I was. I also know Muslims, have known Jews and one or two of the less mainstream religions. Please, please don’t let hate into your heart. Fomenting hatred and division is something these madmen/monsters/idiots would like to do. I’m not a pacifist, I’ll fight if I have to – in fact I can be a pretty antagonistic person - but I like to fight the right people. I agree with you, appeasement is wrong and I wish I knew a better way but perhaps we can at least act carefully?"

4 comments:

  1. Well said. I for one agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malmesbury,
    I have only just seen your comments on religion. I presume they are in reaction to the bombing of the US Embassy in Banghazi/Libya. I'd like to say that according to my understanding the bombing and in general the violence in Libya is not really a religious issue - perhaps it is being confused by what is happening in Pakistan in response to that ludicrous video? Libya is a tribal country, and with the number of arms that were stolen, smuggled and so on during their revolt against Gaddafi, there are now armed militias going around with an agenda to weaken the government and possibly some of them may have been Gaddafi supporters depending on their tribal affiliation. I suspect the western media was too quick to see a connection between the Libyan bombing and the almost simultaneous outcry over the video. Actually the bombing was on the anniversary of the 11th September twin towers disaster - and an 'occasion' to express anti USA sentiment etc.

    Anway - all of this is not religious per se.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd hadn't made the connection in timing with the 11th September anniversary and yes, our newspapers do seem to be linking all recent violence in the area with the film. Maybe it backs up the view that it's the individuals (or individual tribes/groups with an agenda)who are the problem not the religions. I've been away for a few days and rather busy so not had time to ponder this properly, I'll keep pondering because it's bothering me and I'd like to settle my mind, if I come to any conclusions, I'll be sure to post them. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

    ReplyDelete