About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Saturday 27 April 2013

And so it begins

This time ten years ago I was packing my bags ready to fly out the next day for Canada and Alaska.

I'd actually taken the huge step of deciding to go ahead with my plans for my big adventure.  I'd worked out an itinerary with George, my travel agent, finished work and spent the last few weeks getting lists ready so I didn't forget anything and shopping for warm clothes.  I'd been so excited with all the preparations I'd not really had time to think about what I was doing but the night before I left it hit me.  What on Earth did I think I was doing, going off alone for several months in a strange country?  I'd tried to get some friends interested, at least for parts of the trip but no-one else had either the time or the inclination to see this part of the world.  Most of my friends prefer warmer climes. 

So here I was, on my own!  There were a few complications, the biggest being that I wasn't an outgoing person...panic attacks in crowds, in awe of friends who could talk with a stranger with ease.  Then there was the business of my diet, I was gluten and dairy-free.  For those who don't know me, I suffered with eczema for a lot of years and some other problems so I stayed gluten and dairy free for three years in a last ditch attempt to sort things out.  My problems cleared up and, with only a couple of minor flare-ups in the last ten years sorted by briefly watching my diet again, I've not had any trouble since resuming a normal diet.  It was a shame my trip took place during those three years but it was worth the hassle.  George (the travel agent) was a little worried about me doing this trip so I hadn't mentioned one other little thing to him, in case he didn't want to be get involved with the trip.  The other little thing being that it hadn't been so long ago that I was being investigated for the possibility of multiple sclerosis.  The symptoms had faded, and although they couldn't say for sure what the problem was, they also couldn't say it wasn't MS.  Going through that was probably one of the main things to nudge me into living a dream.  For the record, there's been no recurrence so I can safely assume I'm out of the woods now.

Obviously, it wouldn't make sense now to give dates and days of the week so I'm going to post the emails I sent home as sections of the journey.  Things may look a little odd but you'll get the general idea.  Anway, this trip down memory lane is really for my own benefit, a self-indulgence, so if you're interested, just follow as best you can.

Tonight I'm re-living in my mind the expectations and excitement of that day before I flew out, as well as the panic and worries that I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  Tomorrow...the journey to Heathrow airport for the start of my great adventure.  In two days time I'll be in the Yukon...in 2003.

No comments:

Post a Comment