About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Sunday 5 May 2013

Sun 4th May 2003, Fairbanks

I had trouble with the under sheets during the night.  Every time I turned over they pinged off the top corners.  Re-made the bed a couple of times but gave up eventually - the sheets were just too small to cover properly.  I just hoped they didn't strangle me as I slept.  I was also woken at 3 o’clock by shouting and again later by the cold.
 
It was still cold when I woke up – took a lot of effort to get out of bed, first time so far.  Usually I’m up-‘n-at-‘em early these days, rather different from back home!  I’ve tried several times to reach Mary Shields and ended leaving a message on her voicemail.  She was the first lady to complete the Iditerod dog-sled race and I’m hoping to be able to meet her.  She doesn’t really start tours until a little later in the year but when I emailed from the UK before leaving she said to contact her when I got to Fairbanks to see if she’s free.  Fingers crossed.  By the time I left my room a very friendly lady had appeared on the desk and everything popped back into proportion.  
 
Being a Sunday the only place open for breakfast was a Mexican bar so had brunch there before going to a supermarket for a few bits and pieces.  
 
Then off to the Internet place, Atomic Video!, for the next batch of emails.  I felt a bit out of place there amongst all the pimply youths, with their inane chatter and bravado playing computer games.  The computers are in a circle so I can see them sneaking looks at me.  They looked at me a bit funny to begin with but seem to have accepted me now I’ve been a couple of times as a bit of an oddity but harmless really.
 
The lad in the foyer turned out to be friendly and helpful too; I seem to be spending a lot of time here revising initial impressions.  He directed me to the building next door to do my laundry, I've got a feeling it was purely residential and I shouldn't have been there, but done now.  Went to the same Mexican restaurant for dinner and was recognised by the waitress, which was nice.  She came up from South America on a scholarship and got married here.  Didn't work out and divorced about 5 years ago but had made a life for herself here by that time.  She teaches in the schools and is studying for her doctorate, plus waitressing over the weekends.  She says she has a good life and loves it here.
 
When I got back to the hotel I found Mary Shields had left a message at the front desk to ring her tomorrow after 11 o’clock.  Looking hopeful.
 
My car's parked on the street now (been in the next door bank's spaces over the weekend but had to move it ready for the workers tomorrow).  It’s got to be moved again by 9 o’clock tomorrow morning so I’ll be taking it to a parking garage down the road.    Time for bed and try not to think about the newspaper article I read today saying a man had been arrested in the early hours of yesterday morning in the foyer of this hotel and charged with 4th degree assault.  Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment