About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Monday 13 May 2013

Sunday 11th May 2003, Talkeetna to Anchorage


 

I got up promptly as I wanted another breakfast at the Roadhouse, and this time I went for the half-plate, still pretty substantial.  Talkeetna may be small but it is a popular base for climbers from all over the world.  Mt McKinley is the main attraction but there are plenty of other climbs around.  Apart from climbing, a lot of people come here for flight-seeing (doesn't appeal to me, going up in small planes), fishing (only if I don't have to put worms on the hook) and rafting (not in these freezing waters-thank you! - maybe when I get to the Rockies).

The land was very flat for a while after leaving Talkeetna but then I hit mountains again, figuratively speaking.  I stopped at a posh looking place in Willow for a while, only for the waitress to put the frighteners on me about the traffic in Anchorage.  Everyone else I’ve spoken to has told me the same – it’s terrible!  I was going to use the loo but when I got inside there were 2 loos side by side, out in the open, and when I looked back at the door - no lock - perhaps not!!  I came to regret this later , I was VERY glad to get to the hotel.

The hotel - wow - is called the Clarion Suites, and that is what I have, a suite.  A living room with a sofa (opened into a double bed), TV, writing desk, fridge, microwave, filter coffee maker and sink; en-suite with vanity area; and 6' wide bed in the bedroom with 2 armchairs and yet another TV in case getting out of bed is too strenuous.

I could only find one restaurant open, Sullivan’s; it was a bit expensive but I thoroughly enjoyed escargots followed by scallops.  Again there was nothing for my diet but this time they were happy to improvise.  The scallops were served without a sauce but they didn't need one they were so plump and delicious.  There was nothing else to do so I had a very domestic evening washing, some mending (thank you Wendy and Mike for the mini-sewing kit) and bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment