About Me

"Setting the world to rights"...one blog at a time! Plus anything else that comes to mind

Wednesday 8 May 2013

Wed 7th May, 2003, Chena Hot Springs

Next morning there was nothing on the menu I could eat so had the remains of my gluten-free crackers in my room, fetched a coffee from the front desk and went to do my laundry - the one thing I could do in this place.

I had trouble with one machine so housekeeping came to help and made the mistake of asking if I was enjoying myself – so I told her!  She was so sweet, trying to find suitable footwear for me to go in the pool.  Nothing appropriate for the pool but she did get me a hand radio so I could go for a walk so I checked myself out at the Activity Centre and off I went.  (Now why couldn't the guy in the Activity Centre yesterday have done that?  He just said what I couldn't do and made no effort to suggest anything.)

I decided on the 3.5 mile walk in view of my feet - and being very unfit.  I had a great walk round, identifying prints from moose and lynx, tramping in the odd patches of snow and talking loudly to myself to warn bears I was coming.  Felt a bit foolish talking to myself but apparently if they hear people coming they’ll quietly slope off; it’s only if you surprise them they’ll attack – well…that’s the theory!  When I got to the supposed end I found myself at a drilling site and small landing strip.  I assumed I had taken a wrong turn - as is my wont - so I turned round and went back again.  Seems I had come out the right place so I walked 7 miles instead of 3.5 quite unnecessarily!!  Never mind, I loved the walk and saw all the scenery from two perspectives.

Went straight to the bar to recover - just coffee and loads of water!  Got talking to a couple of guys there and the waiter.  They spun me some very tall stories about their lives, but even if only half of it was true they were real characters, and great fun to listen to.  Putting their hands to whatever comes their way to pay for hunting and sledding trips.  One guy reckoned he’d been out on his motorised snow bike and somehow he and the bike ended hanging upside down from a tree, where his friend eventually found him.  Everyone is very independent out here.  Men and women alike, building their own log cabins from scratch and learning to deal with any emergency that comes up with great ingenuity.

Later on I got my massage, she turned up ok and felt I great after.

The waiter in the evening was much more helpful, he apologised for the cheesy toast under the prawn starter and took it away, and gave me extra vegetables to make up for not being able to eat the au-gratin ones.  Afterwards I sat at the bar chatting to two more gents, one of whom turned out to be the owner.  He has great plans for the place.  The drilling I'd come across was a search for a thermal spring to drive a proposed thermal electricity plant (caused great hilarity when they found out it also caused me double the walk).  He also plans to build a massive covered hydroponics place so they can have fresh food all year round and be self-sufficient.  All good ideas and best of luck to him.
 
He said his father had told him Britain would help in the war as we are so grateful to the US for helping us out in World War 2 … hmm … I said nothing, he meant well – just hope he doesn’t come out with the same thing around our older generation!
 
Feeling whole lot happier with the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment